This design uses a Beagleboard as the brain. The Beagleboard is a low-cost, fan-less single board computer that unleashes laptop-like performance and expandability without the bulk, expense, or noise of typical desktop machines.
The main key points of this design are:
- Low power requirement/consumption. (5V for the brain. 6-9V for the platform)
- Very compact size.
- Very cheap. (~$325)
Beagle Board DetailsThe USB-powered Beagle Board is a low-cost, fan-less single board computer that unleashes laptop-like performance and expandability without the bulk, expense, or noise of typical desktop machines.
OMAP3530 processor highlights:
- Over 1,200 Dhrystone MIPS using the superscalar ARM Cortex-A8 with highly accurate branch prediction and 256KB L2 cache running at up to 600MHz
- OpenGL ES 2.0 capable 2D/3D graphics accelerator capable of rendering 10 million polygons per second
- HD video capable TMS320C64x+ DSP for versatile signal processing at up to 430MHz
- USB power via complete chip-set with minimal additional power-consuming logic
Expansion capability and power options to satisfy your imagination:
- DVI-D for connecting digital computer monitors
- Compatibility with a huge collection of USB peripherals including hubs, keyboards, mice, WiFi, Bluetooth, web cameras, and much more
- MMC+/SD/SDIO interface for memory or wireless connectivity
- S-Video out for connecting your NTSC or PAL television or wearable visor
- Stereo audio in and out for a microphone and headphones or speakers
- Power via typical USB chargers for cell phones from your laptop, from an automobile adapter, from batteries, or even from a solar backpack